The May 1879 term of the Duval County Commissioners court considered a number of personnel changes at the elected official level, including resignations, appointments and cancellation of bonds. The court met May 13-16, 1879.
At the meeting before, held in February, County Commissioner for Precinct 2, P. W. Toklas had abruptly resigned. At the time, the Commissioners Court had turned down a request from Precinct 2 citizens to have Toklas reinstated. Commissioners, however, were not so inclined to the request of District Judge J.C. Russell who reappointed Toklas in May. The court approved the judge’s recommendation.
County Attorney H. S. Lang then presented Commissioners Court with his resignation, which they readily accepted. The court quickly named Charles F. Whitney as Lang’s replacement. Charles and Frank Gravis provided the Court with Whitney’s necessary bond. The Gravis men, however, withdrew the bond they had previously provided for County Clerk Andrew Valles, who then secured the needed bond from N. G. Collins.
The Commissioners Court also approved a petition from La Rosita citizens to have a justice of the peace named for Precinct 5. The court appointed F. R. Knight as Justice of the Peace for La Rosita area.
Finally, the Commissioners Court appointed road overseers for the various precincts. Precinct 1 overseer was Encarnacion G. Perez. The Court appointed Rufus B. Glover overseer in Precinct 2 and Edward Corkill for Precinct 3. Named overseer for Precinct 4 was A. J. Ayers and in Precinct 5, the Court appointed George Copp as road overseer.
In other business, Commissioners Court gave the county surveyor an extension, until August 1879, to complete a map of the county. They also authorized the surveyor to purchase all necessary land records needed to complete the map. They also directed County Judge James Luby to communicate with the state Comptroller and the Attorney General regarding a tax for courthouse purposes. The judge was to report to the court at its June meeting.
|James O. Luby|
The Commissioners Court also ordered the burning of all warrants and scrip issued and cancelled since the organization of the county. Commissioners carefully examined the documents and then burned them in open court. A warrant and scrip book documented the items burned.
The Court authorized Luby to build a bridge and dam “across the arroyo”. The judge also received permission to use convict labor to build a rock cistern and to have a “suitable fence” built around the courthouse lots.
Luby’s salary was set at $800 annually.