Is this first Duval County Courthouse?

 

Last week I had the opportunity to go to San Diego to judge a UIL journalism contest. During some free time, I drove around town and ran across this building which is undergoing renovations. For sometime I have been under the assumption that this was the first courthouse of Duval County, but frankly I do not recall how I formed that opinion.

On December 11, 1876 the newly elected commissioners court appointed Precinct 1 Commissioner Frank R. Gravis as a committee of one to work with N. G. Collins to approach Manuel Ancira of San Diego to rent his building to use for a courthouse for 12 months. I’m not sure where this building was located.

In an 1885 Sanborn Fire Map of San Diego, the building pictured above is located next to a Grocery, dry goods and hardware store and warehouse on the corner of Victoria and Theodore. As a boy I remember that Toribio Guerra had a small store down the street on Theodore. I wonder if the warehouse was owned Guerra, who in 1884 built a large two-story stone dwelling, which may be the building above.

If anyone has any information on this building, it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to either confirm or disprove that this was the original courthouse.


Alfredo E. Cardenas | February 18, 2014 at 12:00 am | Reply (Edit) Yes that is what I was thinking; the first one rented from Mr. Ancira. I've received conflicting comments so will probably have to do a little more research.
ANNE HOFFMAN | February 17, 2014 at 11:57 pm | Reply (Edit) THE LAST COURTHOUSE BEFORE THE ONE WE HAVE NOW BURNED JUST AS A COURT CASE WAS GETTING UNDERWAY. NO DATE BUT THIS MAY HAVE BEEN THE ONE BEFORE THAT.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'64 Vaquero state finalist basketball team will be inducted into the Latin American International Sports Hall of Fame in Laredo

1963-64 Vaqueros inducted into Sports Hall of Fame

Tommy Molina, stood tall with '63-'64 Vaqueros roundballers