Introducing new FB Group: Somos de Duval



After several years of writing Soy de Duval, I have realized that it may be a good idea to have a two way, or should I say a “group,” conversation with my readers.

After all, yo Soy de Duval, but, together Somos de DuvalIn a genuine sense, we are a large family. So why don’t we sit out on our front porch and have an ongoing conversation on that which makes us the Duval County family.

For years I have been researching the Duval County story I have always felt that it was not my story, it belonged to all of us that have roots in Duval County. So, I created a blog and called it Soy de Duval. The title was not original to me. It was what my colleague and friend Ernesto Gonzales of Freer, by way of Benavides, used to say; in fact, it is engraved in his tombstone. So Neto, let’s keep the conversation going. 

I have never hesitated to share my research. Many of you have emailed me for information and I willingly provided any notes I had. Many of you have offered comments or asked questions on my blog page or on Facebook.  Likewise, I have always tried to respond.

But somehow, I have felt there was something missing, and that is what Somos de Duval aims to correct.

My hope is to start a conversation with you and among us. It will expand my research by hearing all the stories you may be willing to share, especially those priceless stories passed down by family tradition. As I write my book, I realize that

I have a lot of information, but of course, you never have all the information.

While our ancestors did not leave much in the form of a written record. Still, many of us have a treasure trove of oral stories passed down in conversations out on the porch, around a campfire, on hunting trips, or around the kitchen table.

It is those stories that I hope we will share with each other. And not just stories but photos as well. That is an area where I have come up short, especially of the founding families. So, in a way, I am also hoping that some of you would be so gracious as to share your family photos with us.  If I don’t use them in my book, with your permission, I would like to set up an online page with pictures of Duval County people and scenes. 

Come join me on the porch. I can’t offer you a cold one, but we can talk until sunrise.  Oh yes, my porch is at Somos de Duval

38 COMMENTSON "INTRODUCING NEW FB GROUP:
SOMOS DE DUVAL

"

  1. David Almaraz | May 13, 2021 at 12:13 pm | Reply

    My great grandfather Juan Almaraz arrived in San Diego from Cd Mier in the late 1800s. Then he moved to Hebbronville. There my grandfather Isidro and father Reynaldo were born. Would any documentation be found in the Duval archives? David Almaraz Laredo Tx( By way of Hebbronville)

  2. Emilie Jimenez Olivares | November 9, 2020 at 12:52 pm | Reply

    I am so glad to know that you are keeping this blog and that you are writing more about the history of Duval County. Our history is vanishing, the gravestones in the cemetery are disappearing. It’s important to keep our connection with the past. Thank you for your work.

  3. Mary Lou Lewis | September 17, 2020 at 4:37 pm | Reply

    I was the only one born in San Diego at my grandparents house from 5 of us, si I am really from Duval County. My grandfather was Marciano Campos and my grandmother was Mercedes Ortiz Campos. My father was Raul Ramitez and my mom was Guadalupe Campos Ramirez.

  4. My dad, Pete Munguia was born in La Grulla but as a baby, the family moved on to Laredo, and then established a ranch not too far from Concepcion, Texas. Lots of trips to Duval county. Love it. Great uncle and aunt had a chicken farm. But I understand my ancestors had livestock and sheep

  5. I am so glad you did this, being that I read a lot of your Blog and learned a lot about my Duval ancestors. Seems like I have ancestors not only on my mother’s side Hinojosa, Lopez, Saenz etc. but on my father’s side as well Cantu, and Garcia many of which I have never or did meet. I look forward to reading the input from your FB readers and will share whatever I can. Thanks again for starting this group.

  6. Ramiro Burnias | August 28, 2020 at 11:49 am | Reply

    My great grandfather was born in General Teran, Nuevo León, Mexico in 1849. He migrated to South Texas and wound up in the San Diego, Texas area. Per U S 1910 he was married to a Dolores Sandoval, approx 34 years his junior and had two daughters, Gabriela and Isabel. San Diego court records recorded a third daughter born in November 1910 named Carolina. Dolores passed away and then Fermin married a third time to Isidra Trejo and they had two children: Aurelia Burnias and Rafael Burnias. My great grandfather Fermin Burnias died in 1916 and is buried in a remote cemetery named Rangel Cemetery located approximately 10 to 12 miles West from San Diego off State Highway 44.

    • cardenas.ae@gmail.com | August 28, 2020 at 12:13 pm | Reply

      Thank you, Ramiro. Hopefully, you will find more information on your ancestors.

    • Should want diections to the Cemetery:
      RANGEL CEMETERY
      11 MILES WEST OF SAN DIEGO, TX – HWY 44

      Directions to Cemetery:  Travel west for 11 miles on Hwy 44 out of San Diego. 
      Turn right to Los Reyes, County Road 330. 
      9Turn right at County Road 331 right after small green building.
      County Road 332 intersects; turn right again. 
      Go to second iron gate on the right and turn in.
      Open gate and travel one block.  Cemetery is on the right.
       

  7. Anita Sylvia Garcia | August 28, 2020 at 11:23 am | Reply

    Count me in! I have learned about my county from your blog.
    My ancestors are Serna and Garcia

  8. Dorothy Aboyte | August 28, 2020 at 10:00 am | Reply

    Awesome idea! Look forward to reading and learning more of my families birthplace.

  9. Very informative! Enjoy reading your posts! My Great Grandfather was from Duval (Perez), so still doing my own personal research. Thank you and look forward to read all posts.

  10. Kenneth Foster | August 28, 2020 at 7:21 am | Reply

    Wonderful idea Alfredo! I have very much enjoyed your work on this site! KF

  11. I’m so glad you started this group. I have enjoyed your blogs- I was born in San Diego, lived in La Rosita, my ancestors were Ramos, Valerio, and Casas .

  12. Amando Gonzakez | August 27, 2020 at 7:58 pm | Reply

    Bingo! You’re on track Mr Cardenas. Congratulations

  13. Martha Fleitas | August 27, 2020 at 5:18 pm | Reply

    Such a good idea! Looking forward to reading & sharing! How do we send you photos?
    Martha

    • cardenas.ae@gmail.com | August 27, 2020 at 5:23 pm | Reply

      Thank you, Martha. You can post directly on a post on Solos de Duval. I am working on a form you will be able to use to upload photos with information on the photos. Be on the lookout for it. Looking forward to receive your contributions.

  14. Joseph N Nora | August 27, 2020 at 5:01 pm | Reply

    We look forward to your FB group conversations!! Thank you!

  15. rodolfo valerio garcia | August 27, 2020 at 4:53 pm | Reply

    Enjoy reading your blogs, very imformative!

    • cardenas.ae@gmail.com | August 27, 2020 at 4:56 pm | Reply

      Thank you, Rodolfo. Looking forward to any contributions you can make on the Valerios. They played a role in the Civil War

  16. Richard Tobin | August 27, 2020 at 4:37 pm | Reply

    I know it will be a great forum.

  17. I have enjoyed Soy De Duval for some time now, looking forward to new blog. Thank you for your efforts.

  18. Ramiro C Salinas | August 27, 2020 at 8:34 am | Reply

    great Idea, can’t wait to see it grow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'64 Vaquero state finalist basketball team will be inducted into the Latin American International Sports Hall of Fame in Laredo

1963-64 Vaqueros inducted into Sports Hall of Fame

Tommy Molina, stood tall with '63-'64 Vaqueros roundballers