My first journalistic effort outside of El Vaquero

 


POSTED BY: CARDENAS.AE@GMAIL.COM FEBRUARY 5, 2021


While doing some research on the Portal of Texas History earlier today, I ran across a copy of the 1970 Rattler yearbook from my alma mater, St. Mary’s University. Naturally, I wondered whether I had made it into the yearbook and lo and behold I found this:

Alfredo Cardenas, 1970

St. Mary’s University


I will pass on the temptation of editorializing on this photo, I will leave that up to ny readers. But it got me to thinking about those times and I remembered I had written a story for the school newspaper, The Rattler. I recalled it because 1) it was the first piece I ever wrote outside of our school newspaper, El Vaquero and 2) it was an interesting piece involving an altercation between the venerable Congressman Henry B. Gonzalez and a member of La Raza Unida. So off I went in search of that article and sure enough I found it and share it with you below.

It would be negligent of me if I did not at least give you an update on my whereabouts the last several months. As most of you know, I took some time from the blog to write my “opus,” Soy de Duval, The Nineteenth Century History of Duval County. Well, it is coming along well. I still need three or four more chapters. I will try to do better in keeping you up to date on my progress.

You can click on the images to make them bigger.

14 COMMENTSON ""

  1. Paul Saenz | February 11, 2021 at 6:29 pm | Reply
    Looking forward to reading you book. I have enjoyed reading up on the History of Duval County. My father was from Benavides (Roberto H. Saenz, decd.) and I still have some relatives in San Diego. Thank you for your good work. – Paul Saenz

    • cardenas.ae@gmail.com | February 13, 2021 at 8:26 am | Reply
      Thank you, Paul. Working away on my book, getting closer to the end. Keep a lookout for an announcement of when it will be available.

  2. David Smith (aka Smitty) | February 7, 2021 at 10:02 am | Reply
    Thank you for another important! glimpse of History.
    And I enjoyed also the comments.
    Alfredo, this was a very worthwhile post. The inclusion of mr. Sprague’s article added much to the history lesson. I had an interesting discussion with my wife about how, in 1968, we each used the terms, “anglo”, “gringo”, “chicano” as very young people. (in our respective circles, her:San Diego and me:Odem).
    I am glad you are finding such useful productivity. Always enjoy your posts.

    • cardenas.ae@gmail.com | February 7, 2021 at 10:51 am | Reply
      Thank you, David. It is always my hope that my posts will make a contribution. I must say this one was more of a sentimental journey to my past and had no clue that it would receive the response it has gotten. It is heartwarming to read all the responses, including yours. Thanks again.

  3. Sylvia F. Garza | February 6, 2021 at 2:00 pm | Reply
    I was attending the UH at the time when MAYO was very popular among the very few of us Mexican-American students. I never joined but attended some meetings and felt the same way…”the older” MA moved very slowly and was too patient with the political system, Gonzalez included. I believe that education opened the eyes of many of us, the youth, and one could see the inequalities that existed. Gutierrez and others need to be applauded for their vision. They were very ahead of the time and yet still so behind; the impatience and need for Mexican-American equality was very evident. I must disagree…Jose Angel Gutierrez was very influential in what he envisioned…I believe that he was as influential as HBG even if he was not a congressman; if not, why is he in the conversation? I lived during that time, Gutierrez
    was too progressive for many of the elder.

    • cardenas.ae@gmail.com | February 6, 2021 at 3:05 pm | Reply
      Thank you, Sylvia, for your input. It’s all good. Every generation owes a great deal of appreciation for those who preceded them, Henry B. did and so did Jose Angel Gutierrez. So did you and I and everyone that has commented. Each generation took off another layer of the smelly onion, and at times it burned our eyes. But, the work was necessary. My only regret is that occasionally we turned against each other, Henry was not Jose Angel’s enemy nor was Jose Angel Henry’s. We were all working for the same cause, all in our own way. Even though my post was more of a sentimental look at my youth, I truly am glad that it sparked this conversation, and especially its respective tone. Thanks again for your contribution to the conversation.

  4. Rudy | February 6, 2021 at 12:38 pm | Reply
    Interesting article from our recent past Alfred, thanks. But I cannot ignore that humanity continues the struggle even today. One of your quotes, especially, struck me as it could have been written yesterday to describe our current political turmoil. …”power cannot be had by inducing “fear of violence “ because fear breeds distrust”.
    Never forget. We must learn from our past.

  5. Joel | February 6, 2021 at 11:06 am | Reply
    Looking forward to your new book Alfredo.

  6. Israel Yzaguirre | February 6, 2021 at 9:58 am | Reply
    I would suggest that Henry B was a much more influential player in the Hispanic community than Jose Angel who was a very assertive radical in that era. It is a good article, but those that did not live in that era may view them as equals and that was not the case. I am not being critical of the article, but all this happened during the times of Vietnam war protests, civil unrest, and the assassinations of MLK, JFK, and RFK. As always, this is my personal view.

  7. Belinda | February 6, 2021 at 8:59 am | Reply
    I enjoying reading Soy Duval, especially articles of those who settled in Duval county back in the 1800’s. My family is the Valerio’s from La Rosita, Texas
    Thank you

cardenas.ae@gmail.com | February 6, 2021 at 9:38 am | Reply
Thank you, Belinda. I have some very good friends and classmates from the Valerio families in La Rosita.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'64 Vaquero state finalist basketball team will be inducted into the Latin American International Sports Hall of Fame in Laredo

1963-64 Vaqueros inducted into Sports Hall of Fame

Tommy Molina, stood tall with '63-'64 Vaqueros roundballers