Soy de Duval—the book—is with a highly regarded publisher

POSTED BY: CARDENAS.AE@GMAIL.COM JULY 26, 2021


Well, it’s been a while since I blogged about my book in progress, so I think an update is in order. Good news always comes first.

In this case, the good news is that I have completed my manuscript!

Some details are also probably in order. Initially, my working title was Soy de Duval, the Nineteenth Century History of Duval County, Texas.  My latest version of the title is Soy de Duval, One Community’s Contribution to Tejano Identity.

The second piece of good news is that a university publisher has looked at the manuscript and decided

they liked it enough to send it to a couple of readers for peer review.

What does this mean, you might ask? Well, it means that two history scholars will read the manuscript and offer their thoughts on its merit. This process could take up to two months or more, and the whole publishing process may take up to two years.

So, the good news is that a very reputable publisher is seriously considering publishing Soy de Duval; the not-so-great information is that we may not have the book in our hands to curl up on our couch to read for another two years. But I feel very confident this will happen.

Tengan paciencia mis amigos.

In the meantime, I will continue to prepare for the ultimate publication. In this regard, I am looking for photos of some of the key players in this great drama. I don’t know yet how many images the publisher would want to include. I have some photos but would like some more. For example, I have pictures of Judge James O. Luby, N. G. Collins, Judge John Williamson Moses, and Sheriff John Buckley.

Norman Collins

James O.Luby

J. Williamson Moses

William Buckley

Trinidad Flores

Encarnacion Garcia Perez


I would like to have options, so if any readers have quality photos of these men, I would appreciate it if you would share them with me. I also have pictures of Encarnación García Pérez and what I believe is a picture of Trinidad Flores. I would love to have one of Trinidad Flores that I can be sure is her. Also need photos of Rafael Salinas, Julián Palacios, and Placido Benavides.

I should mention that the manuscript is more than 500 pages long. It includes several exhibits, some of which have long lists of names. Part of my approach was to include la gente plebe, who contributed just as much as those who got their names in the newspapers. The book will be a genealogical gold mine of sorts.

While we wait, please send me some photos of those that I mentioned and others that you feel contributed to the county’s development to Cardenas.ae@gmail.com. As I said, I can’t be sure which will end up in the book or how many, so please know that your contribution, while greatly appreciated, may not be included in the final product.

I am looking forward to hearing from some of you with photos of your ancestors. In the meantime, some good news is that I will have more time to do my blog, hopefully, every week. And I have started looking and working on other writing projects.


33 COMMENTSON "SOY DE DUVAL—THE BOOK—IS WITH A HIGHLY REGARDED PUBLISHER"

  1. Jose H Cantu | August 27, 2021 at 12:23 pm | Reply
    Alfredo, I have a copy of a Picture of Ferman Lopez that was part of one of your writing of the Fiestas in San Diego in 1878 where Ferman lost a horse race and sold several heads of horses to settle the debt. Don’t know if you would want it or not.

  2. Martin Saenz | August 3, 2021 at 2:23 pm | Reply
    How about Jose Antonio Lopez who was from San Jose and he donated land for the San Jose Catholic Church at fm 2295 there in San Jose I am one of many great great grandchildren of his

    • cardenas.ae@gmail.com | August 3, 2021 at 2:42 pm | Reply
      Thank you, Martin. This book covers only the 1800’s. I believe the church in San Jose was not founded until the 1900s so it will not appear in this book. My hope is to do a history of the churches in Duval County and surrounding areas, but don’t know when I will get to that project.

  3. Vicente Vera Jr | July 29, 2021 at 12:32 am | Reply
    I have a picture of mu uncle Vicente Vera n his wife Maime. , A picture of his uncle Don Vicente Vera

    • cardenas.ae@gmail.com | August 2, 2021 at 11:15 am | Reply
      Thank you. As I indicate in the post, I will not be able to use all the photos I get in the book but I am sure I can use them in this blog from time to time. The name Vicente Vera appears four times in my manuscript. If you want to share with me Don Vicente Vera’s photo I would be very appreciative. Thanks again.

  4. James M Baker Jr. | July 28, 2021 at 6:16 pm | Reply
    A truly wonderful accomplishment. My sincere congratulations. Can’t wait to get my copy Mr Cardenas.

  5. Helen C Wallace | July 27, 2021 at 11:03 pm | Reply
    Trinidad Flores was sister to my 2nd Great Grandfather, Manual Marcelino Flores, & aunt to my Great Grandmother, Antonia Flores Everett (wife of Capt. John “Jack” Ross Everett), but have never seen a pic of her. Would be interested to know if the pic you have is actually of her! Trinidad & Manual’s father, Ventura Flores, & his father, Julian Flores, each donated 320 acres from a portion of their respective land grants, San Diego de Arriba & San Diego de Abajo to form the town of San Diego & am wondering if that info will be in your book. Documents show that Antonia sold to Trinidad a portion of the land she inherited from her father & some land was taken from her for use by the Railroad Co. My grandmother had in her possession very old 16″ X 20″ pictures of Antonia & Capt Jack Everett which were taken before 1864. They had water damage & were crumbling & I had them restored. I shared them with Everett cousins & others on Ancestry so copies are pretty prevalent online. Over the years, I have enjoyed reading your very informative blog & thank you for sharing your knowledge with us..

    • cardenas.ae@gmail.com | July 28, 2021 at 8:30 am | Reply
      Thank you, Helen for your information. The Flores family played an important role in Duval County’s development, especially Trinidad. As far as Julian and Ventura each contributing 320 acres to form San Diego, they were both deceased a long time before the town San Diego was formed. Of course their ranchos were already known as San Diego. The Flores descendants, including Trinidad and several others, did give the go ahead to subdivide their land into blocks and lots. They named Trinidad’s son-in-law Encarnacion Garcia Perez to oversee the effort. It is very interesting history but was hard to piece together. I’m sure there are documents I may have missed that shed more light on this episode of history.

  6. Joe & Nora Hancock | July 27, 2021 at 5:21 pm | Reply
    We know how hard you have been working on your latest book! We are so proud of you. We look forward to a signed copy! Blessings always to you and your loved ones!

    • cardenas.ae@gmail.com | July 27, 2021 at 7:29 pm | Reply
      Thank yuo, JD and Nora. Genie and I truly value your friendship. Blessings to you and your loved ones.

  7. Galen Greaser | July 27, 2021 at 3:44 pm | Reply
    Fantastic! Enjoy the thrill of a job well done.

  8. Diana Cueva Liese | July 27, 2021 at 1:48 pm | Reply
    I can’t wait to read your new book

    • cardenas.ae@gmail.com | July 27, 2021 at 2:32 pm | Reply
      Thank you, Diana. I can’t wait to have it in my hands and to make sure everyone that wants one gets a copy.

  9. Minnie Wilson | July 27, 2021 at 1:16 pm | Reply
    FANTASTIC!! I look forward to it being an entry in the Tejano Genealogy Society of Austin’s Tejano Book Award contest. Congratulations!

    • cardenas.ae@gmail.com | July 27, 2021 at 2:31 pm | Reply
      Thank you, Minnie. For sure, I will entry the Tejano Genealogy Society of Austin’s Tejano Book Award contest. Looking forward to it, as well as to my presentation at your meeting on September 11.

  10. Homero S. Vera | July 27, 2021 at 12:59 pm | Reply
    Looking forward to reading it Alfredo. Congratulations! I know it’s a labor of love.

  11. Richard E Griffin | July 27, 2021 at 12:46 pm | Reply
    When will it be available

  12. Tim Kavulla | July 27, 2021 at 11:05 am | Reply
    Congratulations
    Graciela and I will by a signed copy.

  13. Ricardo Barrera | July 27, 2021 at 10:49 am | Reply
    I’m proud of your commitment,dedication and perseverence. When published the manuscript
    will be testament of who we are..Congratulation Alfredo..

  14. Sr. Elsa Garcia | July 27, 2021 at 9:38 am | Reply
    I want three copies…. signed!

  15. Andres Tijerina | July 27, 2021 at 9:22 am | Reply
    It’s already an important book. I just want my signed copy. Congratulations.

  16. Lisa Montague | July 27, 2021 at 7:40 am | Reply
    That’s great news, Alfredo. Any photos I have of the members of the Henry family, I gave to Gracie on a disk. Those photos were also given to the University of Texas center in San Antonio when I made my visit there in 2015. Gracie was with me when we took them, so she can provide you with those details if you need them.
    Congratulations!

cardenas.ae@gmail.com | July 27, 2021 at 8:37 am | Reply
Thank you Lisa. I look forward seeing the photos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'64 Vaquero state finalist basketball team will be inducted into the Latin American International Sports Hall of Fame in Laredo

1963-64 Vaqueros inducted into Sports Hall of Fame

Tommy Molina, stood tall with '63-'64 Vaqueros roundballers