Realitos in 1887 was a lively place


 The start of 1887 in Realitos saw the continuation of a building boom. The town was seen as growing into an important rail station. Among the businesses in town were three stores, three hotels and restaurants; two meat markets; and two barber shops, where one could get hair powdered “ala mode Americano.” F. Cadena and company of Concepcion was also mulling over moving their general merchandise store to Realitos and would do so by year’s end.

Ed Corkill, who the newspaper referred to as “the Hidalgo of the Mexicans,” directed the establishment of a public well. Many Realitos residents gave money and volunteered labor for the project. Water was found at 60 feet. The volunteers also cut and cleared all stumps and brush out of city limits. Also, completed was a dancing pavilion.

RealitosRanger

In 1888, Company D of the Texas Rangers was stationed in Realitos.

Not all was going well, however; the public school had to be closed due to a lack of funds. The teacher, Miss Rogers, returned to Corpus Christi.

P. Staples was named the new justice of the peace and postmaster in Realitos. Mr. Pugh, a young man from San Diego, was the new telegraph operator in town.

F. M. Rowe of San Antonio successfully installed horse power pumping machines on Bob Savage’s new well in Santa Latorina Pasture. Savage had been trying for three years to get water in his pasture. W. N. Staples and son finished baling hay from a pasture they had been working since the previous October.

Savage sold mercantile business to Staples. Reuben and Jeff Vining returned to Realotis after being off with horse stock for months. Stock looked good in spite of a recent drought. James Gibson of San Antonio was in town looking for fat stock. He reported there was plenty of stock in San Antonio but all was in poor condition and was selling for low prices. E. Corkill was rounding up cattle to drive up to the Indian Territory.

J. Corkill and Fyre Burke returned from stock trip to Beeville. Preparation was underway for shearing, and sheepmen were expecting the largest wool cut.

The Corpus Christi Caller reported the “American population” was getting ready to observe San Jacinto Day, “as all true Texans should.” A few months later, the newspaper also reported that the “Aztecs” were getting ready to celebrate “Saint Juan’s Day.” Residents expected to enjoy horse racing, cock fighting, and other pleasures on festival day.

By the end of the year, the public school had reopened and was making progress. Miss Laura Modd was the teacher, and she had 30 students.

Forrest L. Clark’s book Crosswinds of Duval County focuses much of its content on Realitos. You can get a copy of the book here:

    

  1. Leonel Saenz jr | June 4, 2021 at 12:02 am | Reply (Edit)

    My name is Leonel Saenz Jr from Realitos. Family roots Canales, Cantu, Saenz, Chavez, Molina. Anything you can tell me about those family last names?

    • cardenas.ae@gmail.com | June 5, 2021 at 10:30 pm | Reply (Edit)

      Thanks, Leonel. If this is your first time visiting this blog, use the search button on the home page to enter the names of your relatives. Hopefully, you will find something about them.I am a Molina descendent. My great grandfather was Vicente Molina. Good luck.

  2. Yolanda limas | June 3, 2021 at 8:05 pm | Reply (Edit)

    This is interesting I ordered paperback book I am a granddaughter of the david Gutierrez n victoria Cantu from realitos Tx my mother was a Gutierrez from realitos he had dairy back then his son lives at the ranch of my grandparents I would like to know more of the history of realitos tks

    • cardenas.ae@gmail.com | June 5, 2021 at 10:26 pm | Reply (Edit)

      Thanks, Yolanda. If this is your first time visiting this blog, use the search button on the home page to enter Realitos. I’m sure you will find a lot more. Good luck.

  3. I am Jesus Guerra from Realitos, Texas. I have lived here since 1972. I own the place that people documented (old store) on it with the Coca Cola sign above it….. which is actually a BAR (I’m the owner). It was passed down to me from my dad (Jesus M. Guerra) and was passed down to him from other family members so it’s an old family bar (tradition)… it has been there many years. My grandpa (Elyterio Garcia) was a bootlegger. His brothers were tequilleros and they always fought with the Oliveras because they always interfered and took away their tequila!

    • alfredo@mcmbooks.com | July 13, 2018 at 10:20 am | Reply (Edit)

      Thanks Jesus. Sounds like an interesting story. I might have been there some years back to enjoy a cold one with my primo Sheriff Ybanez from Hebbronville. I’ll stop by next time I’m in the area.

      • Sounds good Alfredo I’m always there and open everyday from 12pm till 12am closed only on Mondays! Hope to see you soon!

        • alfredo@mcmbooks.com | July 13, 2018 at 5:03 pm | Reply (Edit)

          Likely not soon but hopefully sometime down the road. Don’t make it that way very often nowadays since I retired.

  4. Angelita Benavidez Acosta | November 17, 2016 at 5:55 pm | Reply (Edit)

    My name is Angelita Benavidez Acosta my grandfather was Leonadro Benavidez and his father was Aurelio Benavidez.

  5. Antonio Beltran Jr. | November 11, 2016 at 3:28 pm | Reply (Edit)

    My grandfather Zaragosa Beltran, settled in Realitos, Texas and my father was born in Realitos, Texas in 1937. He attended school in Realitos until the 5th graded I believe. My grandfather married Juanita Gutierrez. We still have a few family members in Realitos, Texas. My grandfather worked as a vaquero back then.

  6. My Grandfather was Romulo Pena from Realitos as was my father Amador Pena born in 1922. I still have family there.

  7. Marianne Martinez | September 18, 2016 at 9:14 pm | Reply (Edit)

    Hello Dr. Cardenas,
    My name is Marianne Martinez. My ancestors are from Duval County. I am on Ancestry and have traced them back to Mier Tamps Mexico. They settled in Duval County in the 1800’s. Mostly in Realitos, but also in Concepcion and San Diego. Their last names are: Martinez, Garcia, Hinojosa and Benavides. Maria Rafaela Hinojosa was my great, great grandmother and is buried in Concepcion. I am concerned about my ancestors who lived in Realitos. Thank you for any information or direction for research you can give me.

  8. Forrest H. Clark | January 2, 2016 at 12:49 pm | Reply (Edit)

    Thank you for mentioning my dad’s book, Crosswinds of Duval County. My sister reports that we had a few sales in November. As a youth I spent many weekends and summer days there playing with cousins, hunting and having a grand time for a country boy. It has long been a family tradition that Ernest Rogers, one of the rangers in the famous picture in your post was my uncle in law’s father, Ernest John Rogers who became Post Master in 1911. I have been unable to document a connection and have found no further mention of him as a Ranger. The Ranger Museum only has a record of when he was paid. Do you have any information on Ranger Ernest Rogers? Thanks again for promoting my dad’s book.

    • alfredo@mcmbooks.com | January 2, 2016 at 1:48 pm | Reply (Edit)

      Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the blog. There are many Rogers in my research but the only one that may be Ernest Rogers was a mention of a Sgt. Rogers with the Texas Rangers in 1888. No first name was included. There is also an E. J. Rogers, an Emmanuel Rogers, a Major L. M. Rogers, Sheriff Manuel Rogers and others. There is this reference: “Post Office in Realitos was situated in the E. J. Rogers store in 1910.” Hope this is helpful.

  9. My dad (Severo Homero Hinojosa) grew up in the Realitos area.

  10. in the middle of the back row is Charles Fusselman, my great grandfathers brother.

  11. My paternal grandparents brought their family there in 1913.

  12. Ercilia Guerra Ortiz | November 10, 2015 at 12:52 am | Reply (Edit)

    My parents and Grandparents are from Realitos. We have a copy of the Texas Rangers with all 14 names.
    We still have family in Realitos.

  13. My grandfather Narcisso Garcia son of a Pedro or Santos Garcia was born Realitos area. We are looking for his family roots. Please help us. We have all our ancestry books except his.

  14. My grandmother was from Realities, Her name was Olivia Hinojosa Garcia before marriage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'64 Vaquero state finalist basketball team will be inducted into the Latin American International Sports Hall of Fame in Laredo

1963-64 Vaqueros inducted into Sports Hall of Fame

Tommy Molina, stood tall with '63-'64 Vaqueros roundballers